Saturday, August 14, 2010

Going Mobile

There comes a point when the job search becomes Kafkaesque; with only thirty days remaining until I join the ranks of the homeless, my friends at New Jersey's "One Stop" Employment Center are begging me to spend no more than two hours online, searching for employment. Instead, I'm told, I should go to McDonald's and pester random customers who may know someone who may have a friend - who has a friend - that might know of a job.

That is a true statement.

This is the professional opinion of a job search expert.

This is what the economy has come to.

As to McDonald's, I've had people flip me off there for making them wait as the server nuked my Fillet O' Fish; not only doesn't this seem like sound marketing, I'm pretty sure it's solicitation, and illegal. Far be it from me, however...  I promised to go to and get some business cards printed.

And so I did.

It was at check-out, however, that this absurd exercise took on new life. Why pester pedestrians one at a time, when I can accost hundreds of commuters on the highway?  If, in fact, the economy has turned a job search to mass marketing, a broadsheet serves better than a business card. And so, my car is now a traveling billboard.

To my new, mobile readers, welcome to the New American Economy. Welcome to my world. To the left, you'll find my resume - if you have a friend who has a friend that can use the talents of a 10-year veteran of Internet publishing, I'd appreciate it if you'd send them my way. And, if you don't, I invite you to stay for the ride. Life is about to get interesting, and I invite you to follow the adventures of the most literate bum you know.

That would be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment