Thursday, August 26, 2010

Philadelphia would like to tax my blog.

From the Strange-but-True Department: The City of Philadelphia has decided to tax blogs.

Generally, I'd be immune; first off, I'm living across the river from the City of Brotherly Love. Secondly, I haven't attempted to eek any income from my rantings - as revenue streams go, blogs aren't one. And, finally, I've already incorporated in Delaware.

Still, it's a telling move of desperation. Government, like any business, is sensitive to economic reversal and loss of income. Mayor Nutty has been casting pretty widely for revenue to staunch the city's hemorrhaging deficit, most recently attempting to tax soda pop and tea by the ounce. By extending the existing Business Privilege Tax to the micro-monetized blogging community, Philadelphia is hoping to receive 300 dollars from anyone hoping to put their two cents in... at least, from those who hope to get a dollar or two back from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment